DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS / HIP JOINT COLLOQUIA / SEMINARS
HIP seminar room A315
- Thursday 7 February 2019 at 10.15 in A315: Lars Bergström (Stockholm)
Primordial Black Holes as Dark Matter?
- Tuesday 12 February 2019 at 10.15 in A315: Ulf Gran (Gothenburg)
- Thursday 14 February 2019 at 10.15 in A315: Jugoslav Stahov (Tuzla)
- Tuesday 12 March 2019 at 10.15 in A315: Matteo Baggioli (Madrid)
Holographic viscoelastic phases of matter: from fluids to solids and more
Abstract: Holographic techniques have been widely and successfully used to describe strongly coupled fluids. In this talk I will review how bottom-up holographic models can be extended to include also solid and especially viscoelastic phases of matter. I will show how to formalize the (visco)-elastic response and I will discuss in details the vibrational phononic degrees of freedom from an holographic perspective. Finally I will apply the formalism to several condensed matter open questions. If time permits:
1) I will show the connections to the effective field theory (EFT) methods
2) I will discuss also how these ideas have triggered relevant developments in soft matter theory and experiments dealing with the glassy anomalies and the low frequency elastic response in liquids.
No detailed knowledge of AdS-CMT methods is required and lot of low energy condensed matter will be present.
Hopefully the up to 50 min + 10 min discussion long seminar/colloquium will be understandable to a wide audience.
Contacts: Keijo Kajantie (keijo kajantie at helsinki fi) [department / HIP seminar],
Francesco Montanari (francesco montanari at helsinki fi) [cosmo seminar]
Other related seminars